Friday, June 19, 2009

Big Lots SCORE!

So, i have a bad habit of pouring through nesting magazines looking at all of those gorgeous 'nobody could really live here' homes and thinking of ways to steal ideas.

I have found that not all ideas a) fit my budget b) are practical with small children in the house and c) please both the man and myself.

I have found ONE designer that I consistently try and copy - Linda Woodrum. You guys probably know her stuff - she's the diva behind the hgtv dream homes and their decor - CAN YOU SAY YUMMY??

I have saved every possible picture I can scour online only to try and see what i can do on the cheap - and that can be scaled down to my space.

This is pic of a dining room she did for the 2004 HGTV dream home. Be careful, that drool might mess up your shirt...


I love so many different things about this room, but ahhhh... i don't have the Ethan Allen DR set, or the beaded board, or those beautiful cream plates, or the wood floor....

I DO have the chocolate walls and ivory curtains!

Oh....wait - i have an old gym locker basket that has dead flowers in it on the porch....

I have candles....

oh, and I'VE GOT TONS of hydrangeas (another bad addiction).

And Big Lots had hurricanes on sale for $10....

What can i do....I can do this!


Ok, the chocolate is not that dark IRL - it has more caramel in it than it appears - and I my hurricanes aren't as feminine - mine were $10 people....and i had white saucers under mine, but in my small space it was too froufrou......i'm really really considering adding the beaded board, just not sold yet because the entire house is an open floor plan....

Oh well .... it was a good $10 update nonetheless!

3 comments:

Pop and Ice said...

It's a very nice $10 update! I'd love to uncover my dining room table but the cats use it as a launching pad to other parts of the house, so it would no doubt get even more scratched. At least now I just have to wash my tablecloth and lace overlay when they trash it....

I can't put out flowers because they eat them. Even fake flowers. And I'd have to find decor items so heavy they'd ring their bell if they launched into them! It might be worth it!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

What a way to think creatively! Using what you have, adding a big lots score (Really? $10?) and you've added that extra touch that makes it all sing.

Natalie said...

I love Big Lots -- you never know what you are going to find there!

DO THE BEAD BOARD!! There are ways to stop and start it all -- TRUST ME! :)