Wednesday, October 28, 2009

no, THAT's important.

Life is funny.

Your mind can get all wrapped up in things that set your hair on fire and seem SO important at the time.

The cable going out as you set down to a movie you just pay-per-viewed.
A temper tantrum by a child of yours.
A irritating conversation with your spouse.
A really late notice of a time change for a kid's ballgame or practice.
Traffic.

and then, something is said that takes your breath away and makes you go "i get it."

Last night, after getting an email about a last minute cub scout meeting, and rushing around to get dinner, out the door, in the rain, worried about a project at work, and how i'm going to get everything done before this weekend, and and and...

my friend and ex-neighbor, Laura, walked up to the door of the meeting, closing her cell phone and putting it in her pocket.

The first thing she said was "I just got my results, the cancer screen was clean. It's gone."

And that is why everything else doesn't matter.

Laura, i am happier for you than you could possibly know.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I just burst into tears, and I don't even know this woman - but I know the feeling.

I know the feeling of getting the phone call from my Mom, knowing my father had battled cancer for 5 long years - and hearing "It's gone - it was just an infection, it wasn't cancer" -- and knowing FULL well it was cancer.

That puts things into perspective more than anything I could ever say ..... really.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Wow. I often say that sometimes when the angels are giving me signs and I'm too busy scurrying around to pay attention, then they have to hit me up the side of the head to get their message across. And then I really try to pay more attention to the divine in everything. What a wonderfully divine moment for you both.