Monday, February 9, 2009

A little levity is always good, especially at a funeral, right?

My grandfather died unexpectedly last week.

He was going about his business downtown, going to the hardware store to have a key made for my dad and died sitting in his car at the steering wheel.


Heart attack. Quick, gone within minutes.

To add to the drama, my grandmother was with him in the car and had to witness her husband's passing. I can't imagine what went through her mind, or how she felt.

If i sound short and unfeeling - i'm not - but i have run the gamut of emotion and am just getting back into the swing of work, kids and life (no pun intended) and this post is really about laughter, i promise.

In fact, the one thing that i heard FROM EVERYONE at the funeral (and i truly mean everyone - at the viewing, at the restaurants, at the house and in the eulogy is that my grandfather always had this huge smile on his face and he laughed all of the time.) So, Granddad - this is for you - you will get a kick out of this.

My grandfather's sister-in-law (my great-aunt) who is much younger than my grandparents got the duty of taking care of my grandmother during all of the arrangements, the funeral home trips, the shopping for funeral clothes etc - so she drove grandmother all around for a week.

I was in charge of getting the 3rd generation (myself, Justin and his fiancee, and Jon) chauffered around from dinners to the viewing to the funeral and then finally to the burial. We were the youngest there by 30 years.

So imagine how much laughter ensued in the group i was responsible for when the 4 of us got out of the car to go into the funeral home and saw this: (Look really closely at the license tag)




This is my great-aunt's car that my grandmother was riding around in all week. It probably sums up her feeling about all of this rather well...only in my family....

If you're wondering, it's her initials, WTF for Wanda T Fridley - the last T is the first initial of late uncle (Tolley).






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathies and prayers for you and your family on your grandfather's passing. But that is pretty funny. I'm sure it was a sign from him.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm sure he loved the license plate and had a great laugh over it. :)
When my grandfather passed his wake was right next to an Irish pub. We, being Irish/Scottish, had a couple of shots in his memory. :)
Warm hugs being sent your way today!
dawn

Amy said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather.

The license plate is hilarious though!!!!!!!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

How utterly and completely cool that everyone has such great thoughts to share about your grandfather, his smile and his cheeriness. That must be wonderful to hear!
A little levity at a funeral is just fine. It's life. We've had several recent deaths of uncles in my family and when my cousins and I get together, we're just a laugh riot. As one of them says "We put the "fun" in "funeral."

What a great license plate - lol!